Thursday, November 24, 2005

Giving Thanks

Last night I was waiting on the deck with my son for his dad to arrive, as it is an odd-numbered year and thus his dad gets to have him for Thanksgiving. As we waited, admiring the sunset, which my son declared looked "all bright, like lava," we talked a bit about Thanksgiving, about the need to give thanks every day, and to be reminded to give thanks on Thanksgiving in case we've forgotten a bit during the year. As we stood there, the kiddo put his arms around my legs and looked up at me. "What are you going to be thankful for on Thanksgiving, Mommy?" he asked. Smiling, I looked down at his expectant little face, cupped his chin in my hand, and said, "The same thing I'm always thankful for -- you." He grinned and went back to running around the deck, enjoying the sound of his feet thumping on the wooden beams, and I could only watch and be thankful.

Wishing everyone a happy Thanksgiving... :-)