Sunday, November 06, 2005

All Penis, All the Time

So the other day I was downstairs having lunch and my son was upstairs playing video games (anything so I can get a quiet lunch!), and suddenly I heard all the upstairs doors closing. I called to my son to ask what he was doing -- no answer. I tried again -- still no answer, so I walked upstairs to see for myself. The kiddo was in the process of closing the last door, so I asked what he was up to. His predictable answer: "Nothing." I persisted and he said, "I just wanted to do something and I wanted some privacy." Um, okay. I asked again what he was doing, and finally he told me, with much exasperation, "I was going to play with myself!!" Oh. Without batting an eyelash, I told him that was fine, but he could leave the doors open and I would just go downstairs and he could tell me when he was done. He thought that was a fine solution, so downstairs I went, stifling giggles and clutching my cell phone so I could call my sister and tell her. I actually felt very proud of my parenting, aside from snitching on the kiddo, seeing as I hadn't given him a reason to feel like he was doing something naughty. I do want him to have a healthy attitude toward his body, and he seems to have the privacy thing under control. Of course, my sister playfully pointed out that I'd taught him it was okay to play with himself as long as the door is open. Hmm. We may have to work on that. ;^) After a few minutes, he called downstairs to inform me he was done, and I said that was great and told him to wash his hands.

Oh, the joy of parenting a boy. :-)