Monday, April 10, 2006

Blanket Issue

The other day, as we drove home from the store, my son asked me why I don't ever come over to Daddy's house. He's asked this several times over the past year or two, and sometimes I simply reply, "Oh, not this time, sweetie. Hey, want to go to the playground?"

Sometimes I tell him the truth. After all, I don't want to get his hopes up, seeing as I loathe the very idea of going to my son's dad's house under our current circumstances. Why go there and have to deal with feeling like we're a family, only to have to leave and go home alone? Why put myself through that unnecessarily? *

When my son asked me yet again why I don't ever come over to Daddy's house, I told him the truth: "I really don't feel comfortable there, but I'm glad that you and Daddy always get to have lots of fun there together."

He pondered this, then replied, "You don't feel comfortable there? Hmm. I know what you mean. Is it because the blanket is too bumpy?"

If only.

* The kiddo lives with me two-thirds of the time, so it's not as though I have to go to his dad's house to have time with him anyway.