Friday, June 29, 2007

Monkey Spoons

Today I bought some cheapo, lightweight spoons to go with the cheapo, lightweight plastic bowls I let my son pick out. We're always running out of bowls at our house before dishwashing time because my son eats a lot of oatmeal and noodles. Anyway, my son was sitting in the cart, playing with the stuff. As we approached the checkout lane, he held up the spoons and asked me, "Are these baboon?"

Um...what?

"Are these baboon?" he repeated.

Of course they're not baboon, I told him. Baboons are monkeys, and monkeys are not spoons. Silly rabbit.

"No! BABOON!" He was getting annoyed and people were looking.

Dude, I said, I don't know what you're talking about.

"Argh! BABOON! BABOON! You know, like the spoons we already have!!" *

Oh, I said. Bamboo!!

"Oh," he said, realizing his mistake. "Yeah. So, uh...are they bamboo?"

No.

At least we had a good laugh over it, after he stopped thinking I was deaf and stupid. ;^)


* The spoons we have are stainless steel, but the handles look like bamboo stalks. Like this.