Thursday, September 29, 2005

Random Thoughts on Late-Night Caffeine

- The scent of skunk is wafting in through the open windows, but seeing as it was about 89 degrees F today in the house, I need to leave them open. With any luck, it'll pass quickly.

- I have an article to complete by the end of the day tomorrow. I hope I can do it.

- My son leaves for three days with his dad tomorrow. I'm going to miss him terribly, as always, but at least I'll have some time to do the other assignments I have lined up.

- I desperately want a dog. It has to get along with my son, though, and that's the hard part. Strangely, some dogs just don't like being chased around the house nonstop with a space gun.

- When was the last time I got laid?

- Okay, I just remembered and I'm not telling.

- I thought drinking a humongous Diet Coke at 7:30 p.m. was a good idea, as it would keep me awake for a while so I could get more work done. Now I'm thinking it may keep me awake into tomorrow afternoon.

- I bet I could sand furniture with my rough feet. Must tend to that this weekend. The feet, that is.

- I paid one bill today. Got about three more lined up on my desk.

- Will I ever have enough money so that I can stop worrying so much? Ever?

- The guy who lives across from me has a loud, three-syllable laugh in decreasing accents: HA-ha-ha! I'm trying not to hate him, at least until winter, when we'll all close our windows.

- The same guy used to park in the fire lanes regularly, restricting my access to my own garage, despite my asking him not to a couple of times. Finally, a MAN in our complex asked him not to, and he stopped. Geez.

- I wish it didn't bother me that the Fire Marshal seems to think I'm a bit hysterical.

- I owe so many things to various people: thank-you notes, a plant, a grocery gift card, apologies.

- The neighbor girl hasn't played her bass for about four or five days. At least I haven't heard it.

- I miss my harbor walks that I used to take back home. Yes, the beach isn't far from here, but it's an entirely different environment, and kind of yucky or unsafe, depending. And yes, there's a lake nearby, and I walk there sometimes, but it just isn't the same and I miss my favorite place.

- If I have seven or eight inches cut off my hair, will I instantly regret it?

- I wonder if my son's dad ever really loved me, or if he was just working out his issues and I came along at the right time.

- I have several items of wooden furniture in the garage. I need to paint/sell them...or get a bigger garage.

- Why does my DSL line occasionally disconnect?

- Will I ever get married?

- Will I ever have more kids? And does the fact that I want more just like my son make me greedy?

- Will I always be just a teensy bit bitter about relationships?

- I'm good at editing/proofreading (not that I always proof this blog!), and I like doing those things. I'm also good at writing articles, but I don't enjoy that so much. It probably has something to do with varying levels of responsibility for subject matter I haven't chosen. Or maybe I'm worried that the client won't like the work. I feel like my saying I don't much like something I'm good at makes me sound arrogant, though, as I thought Kristin Scott Thomas sounded when she once said she didn't really like acting.

- I wish my old college roommate would tell me it's okay to come over. I've asked a couple of times and gotten no response. I hope it's just an oversight on her part, and not her lack of faith in my ability to be with someone dealing with a serious health issue.

- The skunk smell has gone away, thank goodness, and the temperature is starting to drop a bit. Thank goodness again.

- Am I an overprotective mother because I stand near my son when he's climbing ladders at the playground? Or am I practical in that I just don't want to have to deal with any broken teeth?

- The numbers on my scale are going in the wrong direction. Time to act.

- How will I ever trust a man again?

- My car needs new brake pads.

- We're almost out of milk.

- I should get something done tonight on this article, if only an outline. Then maybe I can go to bed.