Saturday, January 02, 2010

Nope, No Way, No How

I'm rediscovering my ability to say NO.

It's not like I've never said it before. Goodness knows I say it a hundred times a week when my son asks me if I can buy him the latest video game (when he just got a new game the week before).

And if you were to ask my ex, he'd tell you I say NO to life, when really it's just that I say NO to his trampling all over my boundaries.

My latest accomplishment: saying NO to having my time wasted. At the upscale mall the other night, I passed one of the many kiosks with salespeople standing out front, trying to get the attention of passersby. Now, it's not like I've stopped at every single one of these when beckoned. However, I've always felt a teensy bit uncomfortable when demurring. Let's face it. I want to be liked. I don't want to be thought of as a bitch. There, now you know.

But the other night, when a Kiosk Guy stepped out, made eye contact with me and said, "Miss, may I ask you a question?" I looked him right in the eye and pointedly said NO.

And damn, that felt good.