Friday, July 04, 2008

Morning Scene

Kiddo: Mom, I love you, please, I love you, please, I love you, I love you, I love you, please, I love you, please, please, please, I love you, I love you, I love you, pleeeeeeeease...can I teach you chess this morning?

Me: Stop! Cuteness overload! I'm overwhelmed by the cuteness!!

Kiddo: Really? You really think I'm that cute?

Me: Yep.

Kiddo: [batting eyelashes doubletime right in my face] PLEASE? PLEASE? PLEEEASE??

Me: Ah, honey, I need to say no.

Kiddo: AAAUUUGGGHHH!!! [commences theaterical crying]

Me: You're scaring Slider.

Kiddo: [continues crying and wailing]

Me: You sound like you're falling off a cliff. [imitates son's Doppler effect-style wailing]

Kiddo: [crying and trying not to laugh] So will you play chess with me?

Me: Honey, no, we need to get dressed and I haven't eaten breakfast yet.

Kiddo: You've RUINED my INDEPENDENCE DAY!! [resumes crying and wailing]

[Time passes, during which the kiddo eventually gets a grip and is happy again, sans chess game.]

Me: Time to get in the shower.

Kiddo: Okay! [climbing into shower] Oh, wait! I was going to refuse to get in!

Me: ...

Kiddo: Heh-heh. Just kidding!

END