Monday, April 11, 2005

Typical Conversation #317

Just now my son came upstairs with no clothes on.

"What happened to your clothes?" I asked.

"I took them off."

"Why?"

"Because they were wet."

"Well...why were they wet?"

"From the big, wet spot."

"What big, wet spot?"

"The one on the floor."

Can you see where this is going? I don't even want to ask the next set of questions...

<><><>

After I mustered up the courage to go downstairs, it went something like this:

Me: "Why are my papers [including pink slip for my new-used car] on the floor?"

Him: "Oh, I was cleaning them up."

"Uh, you were cleaning them up how?" (now noticing wet places in the carpet)

"I was washing them."

"Did you wash this piece of paper??" (picking it up and determining pink slip is still dry—thank goodness)

"No. Just some other ones."

"Which ones?"

"I threw them away."

(after checking to see that nothing important was thrown away) "Why is the kitchen floor wet?"

"Oh, I spilled water there."

(noticing dishtowel is sopping wet) "Did you get the water from the kitchen or the bathroom?"

"Um, the bathroom."

"But you spilled it in the kitchen?" (still confused about what's happened)

"Yeah, I guess."

(sigh) "Where are your underpants?"

"Over by the piano."

"Okay, put your underpants in the laundry basket and go get some clean ones. And no more water." (still not clear on what he was doing)

"Okay, Mom. Wanna play soccer with me after I get my underpants?"

"Sure."

And yes, this is totally typical. ;^)