Friday, January 14, 2005

My Son the Jailbird

Yesterday as we were leaving Wal-Mart, my son remarked on the police cars we'd once seen parked outside. Back then, he'd asked me what the police were doing there, and I'd told him I didn't know, but my best guess was that someone was probably trying to take things from the store without paying for them, and that's naughty. Somehow jail was mentioned (?), although certainly not prominently. Anyway, yesterday we were leaving the store and he said, "Remember when the police cars were here to take those people to jail because they were taking things from the store without paying?" I said again that I didn't know for sure that that's what was happening, but yes, I remembered our talk. He said, "When I go to jail, will you come with me?" I told him he wasn't going to jail. "Why?" he asked. Because you're a good boy. (scrambling) He became frustrated and said, "Yes, but when I go to jail, WILL YOU COME WITH ME??" I told him I'd go anywhere that he goes, and he was happy.

I don't know exactly what to do with this... ;-)