Sunday, December 19, 2004

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?


Railing at Buster's Coffeehouse, Pasadena, Calif.
This shot is growing on me.

Not much to report. I have two company profiles to finish, and two magazine articles to edit. I'm feeling a bit in that client-hates-me place I was in a few weeks ago. I love working for myself, despite the money issues, but I need to manage my time better. I love my downtime, but it seems when I'm not working I feel guilty because I should be working, and when I'm working I'm wishing I could play. I wonder if anyone truly reconciles this sort of thing.

Part of it for me is that I enjoy editing so much more than I enjoy writing. In the last couple of days I've had the idea that I should draft a letter and send it, along with my resume, to all the small (and large?!) publishers in my area...and beyond. (I had to force myself to write "and beyond." See, I'm daring to dream big and it's a challenge!) The reason I thought of small publishers first is that they may be similar to the woman I started with, who likes to run her company virtually—that is, work with contractors, without paying overhead and regular salaries. That seems to work much better for smaller publishers, and I wonder if I could get in with some other publishers around here. Okay, and beyond. I seem to recall having read something about small publishers springing up like mushrooms in wet carpet, and one would suppose they're all in need of editors, but perhaps not on an everyday basis.

Okay, I need to finish the work at hand (which includes a kitten-care article to be finished this week) and set aside a day this week to investigate my idea. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

P.S. Apologies to T.S. Eliot for twisting his work to suit my purpose... ;-)