Saturday, October 25, 2008

I'm Sorry...So Sorry...

Lately whenever I give my son an instruction, he says, "Sor-REE!" with just enough sass to have me thinking this needs to stop. For instance:

Me: "Honey, please turn off the TV and put on your shoes."

Kiddo: "Sor-REE!"

I told him saying sorry is only for when he's done something wrong - not for when I've just given him an instruction - and that I don't want him to develop the habit of saying he's sorry inappropriately, to the point that it becomes meaningless.

So now when I give him an instruction and he responds with "Sor-REE!" I give him the hairy eyeball and he immediately follows with "I know, I know, it's a bad hobby.* Sorry."

Sheesh.

* He's been confusing hobby with habit, but I sometimes think his word choice says a lot about his motives. ;^)