Thursday, May 11, 2006

(But What Is It?)

Today the kiddo came back from his dad's house happy. Of course, he also brought the Gamecube (I really need to figure out how to spell these compound words -- Game Boy? GameCube?) with him, so he's merrily playing away for the moment while I make some work-related calls. I always feel off balance at the beginning of an assignment, then the client seems happy with the result. Funny how that works, and yet the feeling persists. I'm doing my best to notice it and let it go.

. . .

The kiddo's haircut looks better to me this morning. Of course, if I had my druthers, I'd work on it more, but I might just leave it for a few more days and let him settle into it. No sense in inflicting daily haircutting on the delicate soul... ;^)

. . .

I'm branching out into other areas of work. It's slow going, to be sure, and I'm still working out my pricing structure. I offer a valuable service, so I want to charge accordingly, but I also don't want to alienate clients. Hmm.

. . .

Last night I watched the "reunion" show of Top Chef, which was emotional as usual. One chef called cooking an art, which it is, but I hadn't thought of it that way in terms of the chefs' emotional approaches to cooking. Interesting. There was one segment in which the producers singled out various quotables and played the appropriate clips ("I'm not your bitch, bitch!" and "You're a tool and a douche bag!" are two [ahem] notable quotables). One thing, however, that was said by just about every chef at one point (backed up by many, many clips):

"It is what it is."

Ah, yes. :-)