Monday, May 08, 2006

Weird? You Bet

Some time ago I was tagged by Mary at Mary's Owlhaven for the 6 Weird Things meme, and I had to think about it for a while -- not because I'm not weird, but because I had to limit myself to six items. ;^) Anyway, here goes:

1. I have to sit in a certain place at certain restaurants. When I was in college, my then-boyfriend and I went to the Old Spaghetti Factory on Sunset Boulevard and were seated in a remote banquet room by ourselves, instead of in the main room (where all the action is!). I actually cried and we changed tables. Okay, so I was PMSing like crazy at the time, but I do have to sit where all the action is. ;^) (I should add that my then-bf was commendably tolerant of my behavior at the time.)

2. I have a weird fascination with rhythm and patterns. When I was in high school, I was on the drill team and we counted to eight over and over during every routine to keep us on the right step. As a result, I still occasionally catch myself counting to eight while walking or filling a water glass. Also, ever since I was a kid, whenever I play a game like Solitaire or Tetris for some length of time, I find myself relating to the world in terms of whatever patterns were in the game. Oh, and I often catch myself tapping out rhythms with my teeth. Very annoying, and probably makes me look like a crazy, teeth-clacking lady.

3. I have to lie in a very particular position in order to fall and stay asleep: waaay on my left side (like, practically on my belly), "flamingo legs" (right leg pulled way up and left leg down straight), left arm extended 45 degrees, and right arm clutching the blanket up to my chin. Oh, and I have to have my ear covered or I just don't feel right. If I'm really exhausted, I can fall asleep in some other position, but then I wake up a couple of hours later and have to assume the "correct" sleeping position in order to get back to sleep.

4. I will not wear yellow. In fact, yellow is my least favorite color (unless we're talking about yellow flowers). That said, I do like that really pale antique yellow that was used for cars in the fifties or so. I have a huge can of it in my garage, awaiting a project.

5. I hate having unexpected visitors so much that I will turn down my TV and hide if I hear the doorbell. I've been like this ever since I was a kid. I like to have a little (okay, a LOT) advance notice before having visitors. Yes, even when the house is clean. Which it rarely is.

6. I cry at everything. E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. I will cry at a high school basketball game, at a Hallmark commercial, when I hear a good song on the radio, while reading CNN.com, you name it. And yes, some things that make me cry are genuinely tragic. Others are moving for other reasons. And the rest are a mystery to me. My son used to be a bit worried if he saw me cry (I used to tell him my "feelings [were] just leaking out"), but now he pretty much ignores it. I'm not sure how I feel about this. ;^)

I'm supposed to tag six people, but I think a lot of folks have done this one already. If you haven't already done it and want to be tagged, please let me know in the comments section or just go ahead and post your weird things on your site and let me know about it.