Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Want to Be Interviewed?

Beth at Crazy Us interviewed me (I was up in the wee hours and happened to check her blog soon after she posted!), so here goes...


1. The question that was asked to me that I must ask everyone: You are a superhero. Choose three superpowers, a costume and a theme song.

Hoo-boy. I have to choose only three superpowers? Okay...

First, I'd be able to turn back time so I could do things such as take back mean things I've said, stop the kiddo from peeing on the wall and skip some of the less enjoyable relationships I've had. There's a lot to be said for going back in time, armed with the knowledge and expertise I wish I'd had earlier in my life!

Second, I'd be able to read minds, but only at will. I definitely don't want to be able to hear what others are thinking all the time, but it would be extremely helpful to know what some people are thinking some of the time.

Third, I'd be able to produce obscene amounts of money. Enough said.

My costume would involve comfortable shoes and the color lavender, and possibly a tiara. Haven't worked out the details on that yet.

My theme song—and laugh if you must—would probaby be the "Rocky" theme, as this song tends to pop into my head when I need to get motivated. :-)


2. Pick one: Receiving (tax free) 20 million dollars or guaranteed excellent (disease free) health your entire life.

Well, since I already have the superpower of being able to produce obscene amounts of money, I'd have to choose guaranteed health! Really, there's just no price one can put on good health. Of course, I still have plenty of work to do in this area. I'm closer to 40 than I'd like to be, and I'm still working on my habits so I can be as healthy as possible and keep up with my boy!


3. Huggies or Pampers? Why?

Neither. My son is potty-trained. Woo-hoo! If I ever have another child (and I hope I do), I'd just go with whatever's on sale. I used to spend a ridiculous amount of time in the grocery store, trying to calculate the best per-diaper price, and I'm absolutely giddy at the thought of not having to buy diapers for the time being.


4. I read your Ann Lamott quote (one of my favorite authors, by the way). Who is your favorite author and why?

Although I love a wide variety of authors and poets, including Anne Lamott, I particularly enjoy the work of Barbara Kingsolver and Amy Tan. Their work is so rich and thought-provoking and lovely that it inspires me to be a better writer. Kingsolver writes poetically, with scientific and political insight, and Tan weaves complex tapestries of family history and poignant character observation. That these two women are also friends just tickles me. Anne Lamott's essays have a way of taking one on a winding journey and delivering a loving wallop at the end, and I've been reading her essays since she had a regular column on Salon.com.


5. Punctuation: Essential or as long as you try to get the comma in the right place (so-to-speak), you are ok.

Ha! I'm an editor/proofreader/writer by trade, and I rely on other people's inability to properly punctuate, spell, conjugate, etc. In my own writing, however, I'm ruthless; I choose every detail with care and have been known (ahem) to go back and change things several times until I'm perfectly happy with it or until I just give up. When I was a kid, my dad would give me a quarter for every error I could find in our local newspaper; sometimes he'd give me a dollar if I found something obscure. My profession is in my blood.

<><><>

For anyone who wants to play, here are the Official Interview Game Rules:

1. If you want to participate, leave a comment saying "interview me."

2. I will respond by asking you five questions. Each person's questions will be different.

3. Update your journal/blog with the answers to the questions.

4. Include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.

5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, ask them five questions.