Friday, April 22, 2005

Yes, This Is What We Talk About—
Conversations With My Son: April 21, 2005

Last Night

Him: (after passing gas, grimacing) "Whew! What's that smell?"

Me: "You tooted and some gas came out of your body. That's what it smells like."

Him: (sniffing the air as the gas dissipates) "Well, I guess I can't smell it after all, because boys' noses aren't as sensi-tiz as dogs' noses."

<><><>

This Morning

Me: "Come on, let's go upstairs so you can empty your bladder before Daddy comes."

Him: "What's 'bladder'?"

Me: "Oh, inside your body you have a kind of little bag that holds your pee for you until you're ready to go potty. That's your bladder."

Him: (sitting on the potty and thinking) "Mommy? If a bladder is for holding pee, then what's the bag called that holds poop?"

Me: "Wow! That's a good question! I'm not exactly sure what the proper word is for it. Bowel? Let's see..." (picking up dictionary and looking up "intestine," "bowel" and other related words)

Him: (watching me page through the dictionary) "Mommy, is that book all about the bathroom?"

(Note: My desk is right next to the bathroom. The dictionary was not in the bathroom. Honest!) :-)