Saturday, November 14, 2009

Rockin' That Random Act of Kindness

Well, I missed a day, so NaBloPoMo = fail. Nonetheless, I will soldier on. ;-) I plead stress, though. The eviction thing is kind of a mind-blower, not so much for me because I always expect the kiddo's dad to behave like the malignant narcissist he is, but for the kiddo. He absolutely cannot understand why his dad is doing this to him. I'm in charge of making everything nice and smooth, which is a full-time job. Also a full-time job: forgiving the kiddo's dad.

Anyway, recently I forgot my PIN after not using it for so long, and stress has sent some things flying out of memory. At the ATM I tried a few possible PIN combos, with no luck. Little did I know the card had been deactivated. I'd promised the kiddo I would take him to the beach (we were visiting my parents), so we headed down there and stoped by Starbucks to order a bunch of stuff. Card declined. ??!!!

My mind started racing as I thought about how I'd have to go to the bank and fix the card, and somehow pay for parking when I left the beach, and...and...then, as I was about to tell the cashier to cancel my order, the twenty-something dude behind me said, "I got 'er, son." At first I wasn't sure I'd heard him right, but he paid for all my stuff! I was dumbstruck. I asked if I could give him a hug and he got all shy, but I hugged him anyway. Man, I soooooooo needed his random act of kindness today!

For what it's worth, the dude's name is Ryan and we were at the Starbucks in Huntington Beach on Main Street. And Ryan, if you ever Google yourself and by some longshot find this blog entry, I want you to know you totally made my day. Probably even my week. :-)